Counterstrike 1.6 - failed with error 108
l***@gmail.com
2006-12-05 02:23:26 UTC
I am trying to play Counterstrike 1.6 on my XPSP2 machine but cannot
load the game because of the following error:

"SteamStartup() failed: SteamStartup(0xf,0x12d464) failed with error
108: The
local Steam Service is not running. "

This is very aggrevating; Google only mentions this error as a result
of a failed Mod attempt, I can assure you this is a vanilla install of
CS.

XP3200+ 64bit
XP SP2
1GB RAM
6600GT 128MB

All my other games work flawlessly.

Any idea how I can fix this? I've tried reinstalling, no luck there,
same result.

Thanks
KCB
2006-12-05 03:38:18 UTC
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1400/12042006211402gk1.png
This is very aggrevating; Google only mentions this error as a result
of a failed Mod attempt, I can assure you this is a vanilla install of
CS.
You should have gone to www.steampowered.com then clicked on the support
link at top. After inserting your error in the text search, the very
first article is this one:
http://tinyurl.com/ybocpf

Question
I get this Error:
"SteamStartup(0xf,0x12fc74) failed with error 108: The local steam
service is not running"
when I attempt to run any game.

Answer

This error might happen if there is an extra copy of Steam.dll in
one of the game directories or in the system path.

There should only be one Steam.dll in your Steam install
directory, typically:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.dll
or
C:\Valve\Steam\steam.dll

The fastest way to find errant steam.dll files is to use your O/S
search function from your Start button:

Start > Search > For Files or Folders > all files and folders

then enter "steam.dll" in the "all or part of the file name:" box
and click on the search button.

You should only have one Steam installation on your system so you
should only have one copy of steam.dll. If you find any others then
delete them.